Friday, August 15, 2008

Sad

When I started high school, I didn't know anyone, save for one person, Priscilla, who I went to elementary & junior high with. We both attended Redwood Christian, and decided that Castro Valley High would give us an all around better education. During my time at CV, I made a lot of new friends, joined the tennis team, and all in all had a great time. One person that had always stood out when I think back was my friend Lauren.

Lauren was one of those people that was always the happiest person in the room. She had an infections smile & laugh, and, not surprisingly, was friends with everyone. Some of the things that solidified our friendship were consistently getting in trouble during AP English (we were the "B" crowd - would never get an "A" in the class, and, frankly, really didn't care!), played tennis together, and tp'd the coach's house at the end of the year. She was funny, generous, quick-witted, sarcastic, and brutally honest. We tried to keep in touch in college and after, but it wasn't until recently we found each other again through Facebook.

It was also through Facebook that I learned on Tuesday of her passing. A friend of ours from CV High called to tell me the sad news that she collapsed last weekend from a brain aneurysm while playing tennis. She was rushed to the hospital and they immediately started surgery, but to no avail. It is a stunning loss not only for everyone that knew her, but also for all those that would've come to know her.

I am still in shock over this news. It reminds me not to take for granted what God has given us and especially not take for granted anyone in our lives. My heart goes out to her family, who, like Lauren, were always able to light up any room.

No comments: