It all started last week when I got a call from the doctor's office that I didn't pass the first test. We were caught off guard since they didn't notify us for over a week so we thought we were good. The first test involved drinking this disgusting orange solution that was basically pure sugar and then having blood drawn an hour later to see if I had gestational diabetes. Here's a picture of it:
It was so very gross having to chug it down; 2/3 of the way there I thought I was going to throw it back up. So when I found out I'd have to take another test, I was really bummed to say the least.
The second test involved fasting the night before - not that big of a deal - but then the next day, 4 blood samples drawn: 1 as a base test, chug down another solution, then blood drawn every hour for the next 3 hours. It was not how I wanted to spend my Saturday! I brought a few magazines and my iPod, but it wasn't enough to stay away boredom. To top it off, I met a woman in the waiting room that had gestational diabetes during her pregnancy and she was telling me what needed to be done to manage it. I was pretty much freaking out by then. Towards the end of this wonderful experience, I broke out into a sweat and started getting dizzy. But at least I didn't throw up or pass out, as the lab technician pointed out.
Needless to say, it was a very long weekend as this was constantly on the back of our minds. On the one hand, I've stayed as active as possible, walking Sunshine and swimming laps on the weekends. (I can actually swim 500M! It just takes a while...) I've only gained 16 lbs, all of which is belly, watch what I eat, and most of the sugar intake is from fruit, so how could I possibly have gestational diabetes? On the other hand, Asians have a tendency to be more at risk and my brother has type 2. So it really could've gone either way.
I'm just so relieved that now I can eat a Cinnabon without guilt.
No comments:
Post a Comment